Inside Abandoned Waggon & Horses Pub, Newcastle-under-Lyme
The earliest known record of the pub is from 1818, with the first record of the name "Waggon & Horses" from 1834. The pub was renamed Potters Lodge, before returning to its original name in 2009 when new owners bought and refurbished the venue.
In recent years, it was known as a "family-friendly" (with a small children's play area) pub and had separate eating and drinking rooms as well as monthly live music, with fine wines, real ale and regular guest beers. Also on-site were two pet donkeys called Brazil and Elvis, pigs and a sheep.Old flyer
A local resident said it had been fully-booked for Sunday lunch the day before, so it was still a popular venue when on Monday 27th June 2011 at around 9pm, arsonists were reported to have broken into the building (it was closed on Mondays) and started fires on the upper floor that spread to the roof. Fire crews remained at the scene until 9am and the pub never reopened.
There were numerous shipping containers piled up around one side of the pub until spring 2015.
I popped in to have a look around and take photos on the way to work a couple of times.
DownstairsThe main drinking area with roof damage & bar in background
It's sad to see the pub has been trashed, but I like the post-apocalyptic look of the plants taking root where the roof fell in after the fire.Nature begins to take over Remains of a pool table Cricket cards on the bar "Do not ask for a tab" & mirror reflection Doorway leading to the dining room There used to be tables laid out here as part of the dining area Fireplace & corner of one of the dining areas Closeup of one of the fireplaces Specials menu board Rear entrance Dining area Dining area before the fire Wine list Bathroom sinks Hand dryer Spider webs Lighting & electrics control box Power room Emergency electric-shock guide Food Standards Agency handbook Britvic "Thirst Aid Kit" instructions "New Standard Illustrated Dictionary and Encyclopedia" page Staff rota
UpstairsDoor to fire-damaged room Fire-damaged room VHS amongst the remains Another smoke-damaged room Toilet seat & David Beckham book amongst the remains Upstairs storeroom Christmas tree & box in storeroom Rooftop terrace
Audley Community News Issue 33 (September 2011)